Non-Immigrant “RS”

The Thai Non-Immigrant Visa RS is issued to foreigners travelling to Thailand to conduct scientific research or to train and/or teach in a research institute in Thailand. To issue documents for the visa application for working at the Faculty of Engineering, Chiang Mai University, the applicant must submit the following documents to Chiang Mai International Engineering School at least 120 days before starting research work:

  1. A copy of the passport with a validity of not less than 6 months
  2. Three recent photos (size 4×6 cm), taken within the past 6 months
  3. Letter of recommendation from home university/institute
  4. NRCT-01 – Application Form for Permission to Conduct Research in Thailand
  5. Details of the research project proposal (according to NRCT-01 form)
  6. NRCT-07 – Summary of the Project Proposal in Thai

Please note that the applicant is required to apply for a work permit in case he/she receives remuneration from Chiang Mai University. Upon entry into the Kingdom, the Faculty of Engineering will apply for a work permit at the Department of Labour Chiang Mai in which the applicant will be obligated to pay income tax accordingly. For more information about the permission for foreign researchers to conduct research in Thailand, please visit